[AusNOG] ITNEWS: Telstra retail staff caught cancelling ISP orders

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Sun Jun 23 11:21:18 EST 2013

While we're on the Telstra bashing bandwagon, a recent incident of ours
had a customer having some voice work done to their PSTN (Which they
rent via Telstra retail directly, DSL through us).

  They removed the codes from the line while fixing the voice line and
didn't replace them. This is frustrating, annoying and common enough as
it is, in this case we tell the EU to call Telstra and 'demand' they put
the codes back on the line, or else we would have to charge the new
setup, which they understandably are quite unhappy about. We SQ'd anyway
and found we couldn't as there are 'no free ports' on that exchange anymore.

  In this particular instance the EU phoned Telstra retail (their voice
provider) and got the answer that they can't do it, stating the no free
ports, but then stated that if the EU was to sign up with Bigpond they
would be able to connect it straight away.

  On the subject of why bother with Naked over just getting the PSTN and
never using it - in a sometimes very competitive retail market some have
no choice but to find the best way to offer the cheapest service.
Luckily I personally have never experienced a tech stealing a pair
because it was quiet (due to Naked service).