[AusNOG] "Best practice" - guidelines, standards etc?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Tue Jun 11 12:06:36 EST 2013

Anyone else thinking of a TV show "the rack"? just like the block and all
the other reno shows, this would be about 'renovating' IT inf.. :D

Seriously though.. I know there are IT.. 'management' (not ICT) companies
out there that you can pay to come in and fix everything up, for a large
fee, but seems like you want more guidelines than consultancy?

In my experience well thought out ones don't really differ from racks you
see in large DCs, and ironically a lot of racks in large DCs are just as
hodge-podge as a home grown mini-DC.. so I'd say the best practices
applicable to large DC installations are 99% suited to medium sized IT
businesses and their DC room.

I could point you towards a previous employer who has the best 'rack'
(sometimes its not even a rack, just a table with IT gear on it, but he
still made it work) if you were interested in perhaps a small fee, or hell
I'll do the work myself if you don't get anything :)