[AusNOG] Power audit

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Jun 6 09:07:32 EST 2013

I guess it depends on your environment..

Sure, CPU-idle to CPU-maxxed, you'll see some difference if you have big
power-hungry CPU's (30-40W difference per CPU on a 90W CPU?).  It's
enough that back in the isa.net.au days we stopped running seti at home
overnight, as it added up across 90 servers!

But how often do you max out your CPU's in a production environment?
Our XenServer farm never sees more than about 15% cpu use on average.
Power usage on our DL360 G5's is 192W idle, 226W with all 8 cores in
use. The Thecus N8800Pros sitting behind them run 60W idle, 92W during a
full raid verify.

So sure, if everything was maxxed out, we'd see ~300W more power usage
than at idle.  But that's only 15% difference, so not too bad :)

--DG