[AusNOG] Cheap Q-in-Q Switch Recommendations

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:00:55 EST 2013

Another thing to consider is that it's not always necessary to remove the
'outer' tag in order to access the inner tag - in fact, doing so may
simplify things.

Quite a few platforms let you create subinterfaces and directly address
both tags e.g:

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/2/0.1234
 description --- Site X VLAN Y ---
 encapsulation dot1Q 12 second-dot1q 34
 ip address (etc)
!

As previously mentioned, the ME3600X / ME 3800X are interesting platforms,
and the software has come a long way since the initial releases which left
quite a bit to be desired.

Sam