[AusNOG] [Fwd: Notice: BIND Security Jul2013 CVE2013-4854]

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Sat Jul 27 13:22:37 EST 2013

Good spot and thanks!

I may have already seen this in the wild. My tcpdump was showing
occassional "unimplemented method" or some such thing randomly hitting
port 53 on various hosts. Naturally I wondered what was going on. This may
explain it.

For authorative nameservers, I do a string filter at the router that only
lets in requests for hosted domain names. My named(s) never see any of
that malformed crap. You can also filter on undersize & oversized packets.
Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me, plus it reduces the named load.

H.