[AusNOG] International traffic speeds

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Tue Jul 23 23:46:07 EST 2013

Hi All,

Thanks for the many and helpful replies on and off list (including the awesome person from Vocus who replied within 2 minutes!)

We were predominantly interested in testing throughput on the basis that we were seeing relatively ordinary results from HTTP and FTP servers in our tests and were blaming the endpoint as the most likely cause.

The "simplest" test to run was to start up a few torrents for Linux ISOs and other content and then keep track of some flow data to see the source/destinations. The initial mistake we made her was not to properly set the uTorrent limit, so our transfers were held to 10mbps. We pretty quickly fixed that. Probably most people less innocent than me already knew this though...

This showed pretty conclusively we were pulling in the hundreds of megabits without any real drama, which was what I was thinking we would see.

All that said, I've found a bunch of tools and have some ideas for testing in future should they be needed. Probably the most helpful was the suggestion to set up a number of servers on AWS or Azure and run tools like Iperf to them while you test. I'd heard if the M-labs tools but never given them a run. Quite helpful and clear and we will do some testing with a few last mile services as the Java versions may be very useful for fault diagnosis.

I personally wouldn't bother with speedtest.net mirrors; pretty much a waste of time.

By the way, if anyone does want to share thoughts on performance (particularly who you have found good for 500meg+ of international capacity) I'd be interested in a chat about what you liked/disliked and how you have found providers have performed.

Thanks!
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone