[AusNOG] International traffic speeds

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Jul 23 23:27:17 EST 2013

Which metric are you interested in testing - aggregate throughput? latency? jitter? packet-loss?
Test method vary depending on what you are measuring.
If its throughput you want to test, what rough range of capacity are you looking to test - tens, hundreds, or thousands of Mbps?
Methods vary depending on the scale of the result you are looking for.

While its tempting to just download a large file and time it, in most cases a simple HTTP or FTP transfer will not give you a meaningful result.

Sent unplugged