[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sat Jul 20 14:14:17 EST 2013

Maybe we should give them all a caduceus-signal, we might not be Gotham
City, but....

Nah seriously the reliability of copper vs nbn/wifi/mobiles aside, such
situations where coverage might be shaky can be solved in numerous ways,
including just having a satphone instead of a normal phone. Other options
include cell-extenders (either provided by Telstra or
commercial/residential solutions), microwave PtP, UHF radio, obviously
these cost more than a base solution, but it would seem to me a lot cheaper
to just handle the few tens of thousands exceptions differently than
upgrading the WHOLE network to support emergency reliability. And the
government might consider not lumping that on Telstra/NBNs shoulders as
they have done with the copper network, and have really only done because
it wasn't really a burden on Telstra. Anyway.