[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Jul 19 16:02:47 EST 2013

On Jul 19, 2013, at 3:08 PM, "Beeson, Ayden" <ABeeson at csu.edu.au> wrote:

> That’s pretty cool, though I’d be surprised to see Telstra offering something comparable it’d definitely go a long way to solving this for most people.

Telstra already does offer something comparable.

They have CSGs to comply with.  In rural areas where it's too expensive to light up a
new CSG-mandated service with copper, it isn't at all unusual for them to supply a
mobile phone on a billing plan that matches PSTN.

(same for Bigpond Broadband -- I know a few farmers who have it supplied by CPE
that has a NextG SIM in it)

   - mark