[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Glen Greig ausnog at greig.net.au
Fri Jul 19 15:18:21 EST 2013

Lets not confuse people who have an aversion to using a mobile with an
elderly person, with a diagnosed medical condition who may have limited
mental capabilities due to age. They know if they lift a handset and
press 0-0-0 they will get life saving help. On a mobile, in the middle
of an episode, will the mobile be charged? will it be on? will they be
able to unlock it? They probably also have Priority Assist, so if there
is a fault, much more effort is put into fixing it quickly.

Whatever replaces this will need to have the same levels of service
availability combined with ease of use. It's easy to say there is a $50
box that allows a POTS handset to connect to the mobile network, but can
that network provide the availability of a priority assist phone line?
If it can't, how much will it cost to get it to that point?

It's a bit like the difference between using a $50 router and using a
quality router with attached support agreement. The cheapie will work
for most people most of the time, beyond that, who knows.

Glen