[AusNOG] Alcatel-Lucent Breaks Record with 31Tbps Over a Single Fibre Optic Cable

George Fong george at lateralplains.com
Fri Jul 19 14:19:59 EST 2013

Hmmm ... slightly better than my crappy old 6mbps ADSL"2+" service at
home :-)

On 19/07/13 12:44, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:
> Thought this might be of some interest, I believe we were talking about speeds (although related to microwave)...
>

> http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/alcatel-lucent-breaks-record-with-31tbps-over-a-single-fibre-optic-cable.html

155 lasers used. I think this will be more a case of predictably and
progressively raising the bar on backhaul and transocean links. But
impressive nonetheless. Sounds like there is stil work to be done to get
these speeds to production mode but its on the table and its being chased.

> I would be happy with 10Tb to the house :)
I'm 300 metres away from the last mapped NBN fibre point and I'm getting
fixed wireless ... if the foil heads up the road would belt up and stop
whining about the loss of visual amenity and their fears about warping
their DNA from the radiation. I'll be deliriously happy with 100mbps ....
Cheers
g,