[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Fri Jul 19 13:12:46 EST 2013

I think for people on this list there's nothing particularly scary about acquiring a GPON device.

If we were talking completely greenfields, I'd suggest it'd be a fine way to go, but it's not, it's brownfield, we have to move from Cu based services to GPON on a large scale and in a, for the telco wireline world, fairly rapid pace.

It's not solving the problem that needs solving - which is to find a way to migrate people across in a simple and reliable fashion and most people have no understanding of how to acquire a CPE, configure it etc.

I just don't buy the argument that it'd be cheaper - it just appears to shift the costs around and make some things harder.  NBN doesn't need harder at the moment.

MMC