[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu Jul 18 12:41:03 EST 2013

I did some quick guessing with numbers ;->
nbnco is expected to service 12.7M residences.
my wildassguess at the price for the box in the home in bulk is $300?
ergo cost of NTU's in total is 12700000 * 300 = 3810000000 = 3.8Bn
So around 10% of the rollout cost.
Nothing to sneeze at but would it be a dramatic change?

I'm wagering the bloke who does the "internal" install is paid around
$150, so there's another 1.9Bn

I reckon if you want to save some $ nbnco builds it to the PCD, then the
customer/RSP can provide a cable from the PCD and the NTU.
If the customer has a 12 year old child they can connect it all up, or
they can get the "home install service" from dick smith for $100.

So that's 15% off the sticker price of the NBN, I think its time for lunch.

I'd really like to see how funding changes if NBNco charge a fixed price
per port regardless of speed, and ditched the CVC charge.
CVC is going to be the biggest thing killing off value added services
for RSP's I think, different flavours of unmetered content and the like.

The issue is probably that the "cheapest" plans would get moderately
more expensive and everybody would whine.