[AusNOG] Assistance in picking a router

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Thu Jul 18 12:27:57 EST 2013

Hi Tom,

We are not filtering any prefixes at all; it's a literal full feed.

I haven't found any problems with it cutting off anything yet, it's theoretically possible it is but it's not something we have seen.

I had a quick look, I'm seeing this:

UTS-4500#show cef fib
14573 allocated IPv4 entries, 0 failed allocations
13295 allocated IPv6 entries, 0 failed allocations

Which is interesting, I am seeing 440k BGP prefix's in IPv4 alone, but it hasn't caused us any problems, maybe cef is summarising by network or something....

CEF is not something I know a HUGE amount about tbh, enough to get its function and perform basic troubleshooting, my understanding is if the FIB was full it would software switch the packets and we are definitely not seeing any CPU load on it.

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson