[AusNOG] NBN Co Aggregation advice

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 11:35:53 EST 2013

On 18 July 2013 09:35, Tim March <march.tim at gmail.com> wrote:

> One half of me says; "That's really innovative thinking. If if you can
> provide discounted services fetc. to local industry and boost their
> competitiveness without increasing tax burden on ratepayers then that's
> totally awesome."
>
> The other half of me says; "What business does council have getting in to
> the network services game? Your paid to keep the sewage flowing and garbage
> off the streets, not spend tax dollars playing telco."

The fringe/bleeding edge technologies of today will be the basic services
of tomorrow.  I bet the same thing was said about sewerage, garbage
collection, running water and roads at some stage too - remembering that
local roads are a relatively recent introduction into the responsibility
portfolio of councils, previously dealt with by the state government..

> I'm genuinely interested to hear what services/infrastructure you guys
> intend to offer and how you see that playing out from a fee/reward point of
> view...

If it costs less to do this themselves than it costs them to have a third
party provide the same services, they're already winning.  And the
opportunities (inline with your first  sentence above) it could open up are
immense.