[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Jul 18 11:33:35 EST 2013

I thought the same, as someone who currently has 2 NBN RSP's on my NTD
it is a good fit and quite easy. My preferred routers are also only
ethernet so I'd be locked in to a more limited range of routers that can
terminate GPON, or have a deal like I had to do when DSL was my only
connection, which is a small single port device to interface with the
network (e.g. ADSL Modem) that bridges through to my ethernet router to
do the real grunt (NAT/Firewall etc).

But on the flip side it is very common for a house to only have a single
copper line in, and those rare people who require multiple connections
pay for the benefit of doing so through adding a second line, which can
run up to $299 at Telstra build-out cost I believe. So given that most
dwellings would only need a single provider at any one time, I would say
those who are in the specific need for multiple connections would have
to pay for a second 'line' like any other customer in current networks.
The cost benefit Simon talks about for the majority of households would
far outweigh the extra work required for the small minority that would
request such a setup.

/2c