[AusNOG] Assistance in picking a router

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Jul 17 22:46:36 EST 2013

Going to play devils advocate here and say if you are on a budget, MikroTik devices, bang for buck, have some great throughput, with there biggest routers only costing about $1200AU, and touting specs and throughput more than you are describing what is required.

Again, it's not a premium brand like cisco/juniper etc. But it sure is good on the wallet.

Thanks,
Joe

Daniel Watson <daniel at glovine.com.au> wrote:

>Gday Tim
>
>My provider have issued me with a Vyatta virtual router with a BGP
>session directly to them, they host and manage this VM router and have
>that router advertising our ASN and IPs
>
>Mind you AS132839 is one network, the other is AS132869. Same issues on
>both networks. Which are two seperate virtual routers. So its very odd
>
>Daniel
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On 17/07/2013, at 22:34, "Tim March" <march.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Your network appears to be AS132839. Either you're advertising it to
>your upstream via a device that you control or your provider is
>advertising it on your behalf. From what you're saying it sounds like
>they're advertising it on your behalf and probably just handing off a
>switched port. This is probably what you're actually talking about when
>you say you've got a "BGP routing table."
>>
>> If you're having serious issues that you believe are related to that
>device your first port of call is probably to harass the provider about
>it. Also, if you're talking about replacing a managed service with a
>piece of your own hardware there are more than likely commercial issues
>you'll need to overcome as well.
>>

>> T.
>>
>> On 17/07/13 10:20 PM, Daniel Watson wrote:
>>> Gday Tim
>>>
>>> Thing here is. Our provider controls our router. Being Vyetta, we
>dont have access
>>>
>>> The only thing we have access too. Is the gear behind that, switches
>and servers ect ect
>>>
>>> All great advise thus far
>>>
>>> Ive been told we have a regular default BGP routing table aswell. So
>i hope that helps
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>platform. Skeeve will tell you to buy a Juniper. I'll tell you to buy a
>Cisco. Chairman Mao will tell you to buy a Huawei. They'll all do what
>you need them to better than whatever virtual appliance you're probably
>running now.

>whole range of fairly disparate causes. The best thing you can do is
>get someone who knows what they're doing to sit down in front of your
>network, do some analysis and produce a plan to improve it. Assuming
>you just need to buy
>$RandomPieceOfHardwareSomeDudeOnAMailingListSuggested and your problems
>will go away is flipping a coin.

>man
>ebay cisco).

>need

>www.eintellegonetworks.com

>blog:

>:S

>And

>the
>you
>need
>for

Sent from my Android device with Pigeon.