[AusNOG] "NBN Co to reserve data port for government"

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Jul 17 16:42:27 EST 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Brad Gould <bradley at internode.com.au> wrote:

> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/350209,nbn-co-to-reserve-data-port-for-government.aspx

Hmm. So everyone is going to run two LANs in their house, one for themselves and
one for government services?

I wonder how much bandwidth is going to be available for the government services when I
buy a 100/40 Mbps service from an RSP on "my" port?

(same thing that'll happen to the bandwidth for my "smart meter", I suppose)

Maybe the Government would be able to choose a different tack for service delivery if
it wasn't so terrified of the internet.  We're going to be approaching a world in which
all communications, entertainment, and remote service delivery is carried on the Internet
except those bits of communications, entertainment and remote service delivery that
come from the Commonwealth, because the Commonwealth is allergic deploying services
across the same transport everyone else uses.

  - mark