[AusNOG] "NBN Co to reserve data port for government"

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 17 14:38:36 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

As this idea is somewhat similar to Adam Internet's Communitynet service (which as a VLAN in the exchange, on a separate ADSL ATM PVC), I think you could do it with dual WAN interfaces on the CPE, individual NAT instances on each port, and all services residing at layer 3 directly on the Government NTD port so that the connected route in the CPE suffices, or use DHCP Classless Static Route Option to push routes into the CPE for services more than one hop away on the Government service, leaving the default route to the Internet via the RSP port. IPv6 might make this easier because of non-overlapping address spaces, but makes it harder because the Government network would either need to be aware of the subnets within the residents' homes, or would have to allocate IPv6 subnets to the home networks to be used in parallel with the RSP provided subnets on the home users network. There's work going on to support this by routing using both source and
 destination addresses, rather than just destination addresses.

So it might be technically feasible, but IMHO a high bar for features for typical resi CPE. Training consumers to ask for/require these features when buying CPE is perhaps impossible.

I'm not really following the group, however the IETF Homenet working group are looking into these sorts of scenarios. I'd say they're generally quite hard and complicated because of the multiple service providers involved, the multiple services involved, and that the people deploying these networks will usually have abilities limited to plugging in correctly coloured cables and switching the device on, and that's it. In other words, it all has to be automated, self organising and self correcting.

Regards,
Mark.