[AusNOG] Returned IP address resource allocation proposal

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Jul 17 00:34:51 EST 2013

Hey Andrew,

I mean... the policy process is a developing one.  This is an initial draft
by one person... based on comments on the Policy SIG discussion list he has
add, change, revise, etc.

Also... his suggestion to issue all APNIC members a /22 is a good one, and
one that I 110% support.

But he is also suggesting it be done from a re-issued pool that will be
allocated to RIR's from IANA, from the global collection of what is being
handed back to them.

But.. this space hasn't come yet... so I think Tomohiro-san is suggesting
that the new /22 issue to all members come from that pool and not 103/8
(final 8).

I am the one who initially raised the suggestion (just an idea) of whether
those with a lot of space already.. such as a /18 or greater, need the
extra /22.

Again.. the Policy SIG list is a policy discussion list and all sorts of
ideas might be tossed around.  Tomohiro-san has indicated that he was not
thinking of this.

I suggested it as an idea... but it may not prove worth the effort... I
haven't seen the number and size of members (I will ask) to know how many
/22's that might save (probably not a huge amount).  APNIC only has some
4000ish members... so if 10% of them had /18+ then that would only same 400
or so /22's... which in the scheme of things, isn't worth spending any time
on.

Btw... If the list is open to internal (ausnog) discussions about these
topics, I would be very happy.  JANOG (Japan NOG) discusses their
communities opinions and presents a united front to the APNIC community.
 This however is an advanced way of thinking - something I am not sure
AUSNOG is up to ;-)

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net