[AusNOG] Switching Recommendations

Lincoln Dale ltd at aristanetworks.com
Mon Jul 15 08:53:03 EST 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Greg M <gregm at servu.net.au> wrote:

> Just be aware that if you are pushing the 3560X hard in a server
> environment
> you will experience packet drops due to shitty buffers on the 2960S/3560X
> and 3750X series. We ended up choosing the 4948E because of this...

Most 1GE switches have anemic buffers which results in less-than-stellar
performance if you drive them hard, have bursts or incast traffic.
Alas, this doesn't even figure in most people's knowledge/requests when it
comes it networking.

A good example of the issue you've described is at <
http://dev.datasift.com/blog/big-data-bigger-networking> and <
http://dev.datasift.com/blog>

cheers,

lincoln.