[AusNOG] Google Loon Balloon Broadband

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Sun Jul 14 11:51:28 EST 2013

I also wonder if they have considered that when these "loons" reach
burst altitude and they start falling with there payload.  What hazard
to air navigation will they present.  Have they consulted with ICAO.
Weather and science balloons are used away from air routes however this
will conflict with the idea's getting IP to populated areas. Also
weather balloons are few these guys are going to need a more then few to
get the job done. I guess they could put a transponder on board but 100W
1090Mhz transceivers are not light and have a large power requirement.
If you ask me if we don't need another spotty coverage wireless internet
service.  We already have Globalstar. ;)  Perhaps Autonomous UAV's like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Pathfinder

Matt.