[AusNOG] Riverbed (or other) Edge devices for data compression - Seeking feedback or Suggestions

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Jan 30 15:54:37 EST 2013

On 30/01/2013, at 2:22 PM, Ed Hallett <ed at teltech.net.au> wrote:

> At a previous contract (Australia / Dubai wide commercial architectural design company) we had Riverbed’s handling the load between heavily utilised local file servers (those CAD drawings are big!!) – we had significant problems with users reporting slow access speeds to ArchiCAD / AutoCAD docs and similar. It still wasn’t resolved after 6 months of talking to Riverbed, and is ongoing I believe.

It's been quite a few years since I've played in this space, but I do recall that CAD files were (once) the bane of WAN Acceleration products everywhere.

Someone explained it to me that when making even small changes to CAD files, the structure/contents/order of the file is changed so drastically that traditional caching/diff methods become ineffective.  I find this highly ironic since the size of these files and the inevitable number of revisions that must be sent around the place must be staggering...

As for the OP - Riverbed licensing is/was based on number of active sessions through the appliances - be VERY optimistic around these numbers when sizing your appliance as exceeding them will leave you with unaccelerated traffic flows and very bizarre performance issues.

Ben