[AusNOG] Riverbed (or other) Edge devices for data compression - Seeking feedback or Suggestions

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:36:18 EST 2013

Overall I've found Riverbed units to work quite well, but I have also seen
some pretty strange issues with them in the past too. One of the weird
hiccups was with CIFS traffic, it would truncate files being saved to a
remote file server, and also cause some strange file locking issues at the
same time. In other cases, some http traffic would get chewed up and not
render properly on destination machines (this was quite rare though).

In other installations I've seen Riverbed units working particularly well
for high latency services (satellite connections), where the WAN
acceleration really came into its own.

The CIFS issue was only a real problem on a Windows 7 user SOE, for some
reason XP was always fine.

Giles