[AusNOG] /16 for sale.... well not really but why not!

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 26 11:49:55 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

If an ISP implements CGN with the ideal sharing ratio of 2 subscribers to 1 IP address (to give the subscribers the most possible ports), an ISPs requirement for public addresses for those subscribers halves. What are they going to do with those excess addresses? If they sell them, then I agree, the value will drop.

Consider Telstra with 2.4 million wired broadband residential customers, which I assume all have individual public IP addresses. In theory with a 2 to 1 CGN deployment, they now have 1.2 million excess addresses. If they kept 300 000 for their own future use, they could sell the remaining 900 000.

I think it would be best to minimise the number of subscribers to IP addresses in a CGN deployment, which why I'd deploy 2:1. However, it seems common for people to talk about 8:1 or even 16:1. If Telstra chose to adopt 8:1, they'd "free up" 2.1 million addresses. In addition to being able to sell them, another financial incentive to giving them up would be a reduction in RIR fees.

I've wondered in the past if there is or should be an APNIC policy to reclaim addresses that become unused when an ISP deploys CGN.