[AusNOG] /16 for sale.... well not really but why not!

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Fri Jan 25 17:15:52 EST 2013

I'd agree with that assesment and conclusion mostly. But I'd also add that
were the RIR to simply start charging economical fees for IP space, you
wouldn't have people hanging onto /16 with the idea to profit off it in the
future (very greedy behaviour, but then again I suppose they are a
business, so probably in line...). As bad as it might be for those who
suddenly have to pay, they are also the ones with the most IP space, and
therefore the ones that should *most* be moving to v6.

Forcing all the small providers who can't get enough space to move to v6,
as you talk about Skeeve, won't fix the problem anywhere near as fast as
doing it the other way around. It is true that it is band-aid if the
smaller pockets of v4 left are simply re-allocated, but what isn't a
bandaid is re-allocating the massive IP space. Imagine moving Telstra off
v4, suddenly we'd have more than enough IPv4 space for the smaller
providers in Australia, for whom rolling out v6 will cost far more as a
percentage than it would Telstra.

Anyway, wishful thinking.