[AusNOG] /20 Available

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Tue Jan 22 18:56:30 EST 2013

Yep whatever number IP 6 will support (slice it dice it) it will at some
point run out of spaces, Murphy’s Law.

MAJOR lesson to enable up take to IP 7, 8 whatever comes in the future is
backwards compatibility. IP 6 wanted to expand “IP 4” and “fix some issues”
so now we have IP4  that won’t talk with IP 6, so the gods in there push for
the holy grail forget  the current users. And people wonder why
companies/people won’t buy new equipment. The Y2000k bug is in the non tech
persons mind. They think because the world didn’t end that it’s all an beat
up IT people trying to get  a bigger budget :-(

What they don’t understand is a lot of work was done to ensure 2000 didn’t
implode the world.  And yes on midnight 2000 some services failed – lifts,
cars, building doors, prison security.

Will the over lords make the same mistakes probably but at least people
should flag them.