[AusNOG] Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than to change an ip-line to e-line

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Jan 15 17:08:12 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 04:25:10PM +1100, Alastair Waddell wrote:

 > Carrier now advises that we need to pay out the 3 year contract
 > if we want to make the said change to have the customer access
 > connected via an e-line to our POI

See if the contract allows arbitrary bandwidth changes.

If it does, you might be able to get away with setting up a brand
new e-line on a new VLAN on the same interconnect, cutting everything
over to that, then turning down the commit on the (3-year contract)
p-line to zero megabits per second.

I don't know what your rate card looks like, but it might mean
you can avoid contract break fees by paying "peppercorn rental" on
the zero megabit service you don't want to use.

YMMV.

  - mark