[AusNOG] Easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than to change an ip-line to e-line

Alastair Waddell awaddell at legion.com.au
Tue Jan 15 16:25:10 EST 2013

Hi Nogites,

The gist of this question is 'how much work is it actually to change an ip-line on a ESSA to an e-line?'

I haven't named my carrier and I believe e-line and ip-line are carrier-agnostic terms within common parlance.

We installed a carrier bundle of mid-band ethernet access and internet and I did seek assurances that we could later change the ip-line component to an e-line after we'd installed an interconnect, which we've now done.

Carrier now advises that we need to pay out the 3 year contract if we want to make the said change to have the customer access connected via an e-line to our POI

It is true, in hindsight, that we could have ordered the customer access as an ETA in which case the logical changes could be managed however, this was not grokked-and-sunk-home by myself at the time of ordering.

But, I'd just like to know, as I prepare to tell the customer they've been hung out to dry, how much work is it really? Just how much would it bust their (carrier) chops to to make this change on an ESSA?

Does this case pass the 'a reasonable person would/could' test? How much would it bust your chops or my chops if it were we who were asked to do it and what value would you put on that: $12,500? $1250? $125?

Regards,

Alastair Waddell                          email:  awaddell at legion.com.au
http://www.legion.com.au/                 phone:              1300664040