[AusNOG] [SHAME] spamrats.com

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jan 10 21:26:19 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 07:55 +0000, Anand Kumria wrote:

> > RFC 1912, Section 2.1 says every Internet-reachable host should have a name
> > and "Make sure your PTR and A records match" and "For every IP address,
> > there should be matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain"
> >
> > its DNS 101
>
> Note that it is not a *MUST* requirement, nor even a *SHOULD*.
>

> And, frankly, _depending_ upon PTR records in 2013 is just plain daft.

I beg to differ, those who usually bitch about this are the ones caught
out for not giving a damn about their network, and yes same enforcement
is and should be applied to ipv6.

> % host -t mx gmail.com

and since when have Google done everything compliant?

> I realise that this doesn't help the OP but I just wanted to ensure
> that people know that PTR records are a defining anti-spam mechanism
> are very outdated.

really?  outdated?  I beg to differ, again, over 90 %, yes 90%, less
work my anti spam stuff has to do for blocking the incompetent people in
this industry who don't know how to do DNS, and seeing as how I myself
have been taking this approach for nearly twenty odd years, I think I
know the net results are justified.

ignorance and laziness are not a defence.