[AusNOG] [SHAME] spamrats.com

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jan 10 16:59:17 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 13:08 +1000, Julian DeMarchi wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 01:04 PM, Paul Fraser wrote:
> > Not that I agree with it, but I thought this was pretty much the norm as a spam mitigation technique...
>
> A /32 yes. You can't block a whole /24 for no PTRs... I wouldn't be
> running 252 mail servers on one subnet...

RFC 1912, Section 2.1 says every Internet-reachable host should have a
name and "Make sure your PTR and A records match" and "For every IP
address, there should be matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain"

its DNS 101

but I agree they have taken things to the extreme IF you DID have some
hosts with valid A and PTR's in that block.

Just as well they are not commonly used, perhaps this is why, just as
bad a apews and a few others.