[AusNOG] Apple iPhone5 Wifi connectivity problems - faulty Apple wireless chipsets?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Tue Jan 8 07:39:27 EST 2013

On 01/07/2013 10:01 PM, Jason Reid wrote:
> Interesting that TKIP support is an issue - some of our older WAPs
> with TKIP only are having issues with iphone/ipads only
> (wintel/androids ok)...
>

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Thomas Jackson <thomas at thomax.com.au
> <mailto:thomas at thomax.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     A colleague was talking about this the other day - apparently they
>     had some
>     iPad 2 units working perfectly until upgrading them and their new
>     iPhone 5s
>     wouldn't connect at all.
>
>     In the end, he found out that TKIP support (which is what their
>     APs were
>     configured to use) seems to have vanished, and AES was the only
>     supported
>     cipher. After swapping over, suddenly everything started working
>     again.

I'm surprised it works at all.  The IEEE and the Wi-Fi Alliance
deprecated it starting from 2009. [1]  There were attacks published
against TKIP with WPA [2] [3], and my understanding is that these were
later extended to work against the WPA2 version of TKIP as well
(although i haven't managed to find the reference).

Turning off TKIP in all equipment that supports it (and replacing
equipment that doesn't) is the only viable course of action, IMO.

Regards,
Paul

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_Key_Integrity_Protocol
[2]