[AusNOG] Is there anyone from Telstra available who works in the Telstra DNS dept available?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Mon Feb 18 11:04:23 EST 2013

Probably because their DNS servers are from the 90s, and therefore the only
way they can cope with the number of lookups externally is to cache, cos
the server is only connected upstream at 128Kbit. That is how they serve
millions of Australians who use them for lookups, by reducing the number
that go upstream. I saw a memo last year from the CEO requesting an upgrade
of the upstream, but unfortunately while they were able to upgrade the
downstream to a 1Gbit NIC, upgrading the upstream would cost hundreds of
millions as they'd need to lay a completely new cable to the US to connect
to the root nameserver there.

troll