[AusNOG] Server/HD Question

Jarryd Sullivan Jarryd.Sullivan at area9.com.au
Thu Feb 14 15:17:38 EST 2013

+1
It's rather common and very easy to replace if it fails however in my 3 years working with the stuff I haven't seen an SD card with ESX(i) stop working yet. A lot of the newer HP generation of servers (from the G5 through to the Gen 8's) have the ability to boot from removable media. I believe the G5's have internal USB ports on the board and G6 onwards have SD card slots. Not sure about the Dell's but I'd assume they're doing similar things. I haven't ever really seen a performance decrease from it being on removable media either so I'd assume there is minimal disk access after boot.

Jarryd Sullivan