[AusNOG] powerful routers in core/edge routing/switching

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Feb 13 11:06:46 EST 2013

The problem is routing has lagged far behind switching in terms of port
density, capacity, throughput etc. Obviously a switching engine is peanuts
compared to a routing engine, but it is exaggerated by the massive amounts
of features they put in routing engines.

Seems to me we almost need a new breed of edge routers, ones that just talk
BGP to other providers, and the current edge can stay as they are handling
fancy things like MPLS which is really more of an internal routing,
therefore switching, feature. Or not :)