[AusNOG] Domain registrar advice/recommendations

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Tue Feb 12 17:50:34 EST 2013

This is what one of our subsidiaries  / related entities did, i.e. dumped the registrar and became a registrar themselves.

This was mainly to stop ourselves being at the mercy of X / Y / Z registrar's issues on the day.

AusRegistry themselves are great to deal with, from a Registrars point of view, and manage more than just .au.

It's not for everyone,and it would be much much easier to go through a registrar with their own awesome API that works well and manage from there, rather than trying to be your own registrar. (There's a fair bit of upkeep to do, and the API is basically EPP).

If you can donate an entire staff member to managing domain names full time, then I would suggest that is the tipping point to look at being your own registrar, but not before then.