[AusNOG] powerful routers in core/edge routing/switching

Bill Walker bill at wjw.co.nz
Tue Feb 12 03:06:44 EST 2013

Correct, but if you have two upstreams and a full international
from each.....

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:46:55 +1100, Brad Evans wrote:

> VS-S720-10G-3CXL and WS-SUP720-3BXL will do 1m IPv4 routes. I think
you'll find 500k is the limit for IPv6 routing table.

12/02/2013 11:37 AM, Randil Wijerathne wrote:

>> No Cisco 6500 is
not good option If you want to run BGP with transit ISP. Maximum IPv4
routes by a VS-S720-10G-3CXL* supervisor is 500K. internet routing table
already ~ 435k

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> RANDIL WIJERATHNE

Network Engineer

>> AusRegistry Pty Ltd
>> Level 8, 10 Queens
Road,
>> Melbourne. Victoria. Australia. 3004.
>>
>> Ph: +61 3 9866
3710
randil.wijerathne at ausregistry.com.au [1]

www.ausregistry.com.au

>> The information contained in this
communication is intended for the named recipients only. It is subject
to copyright and may contain legally privileged and confidential
information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not use,
copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete all copies from your
system and notify us immediately.

>> FROM:
ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [2]
[mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [3]] ON BEHALF OF David
Hughes
>> SENT: Tuesday, 12 February 2013 11:34 AM
>> TO: Ankit
Agrawal
>> CC: ausnog at ausnog.net [4]
>> SUBJECT: Re: [AusNOG] powerful
routers in core/edge routing/switching

>> If you are looking for
density of sub-10GbE ports and just BGP / OSPF then Cat6K is still a
fair option if you want switching and routing. If you want 10GbE ports
then Nexus should also be on your review list too.

…

>> On 12/02/2013, at 10:27 AM, Ankit Agrawal wrote:
>>
>> Hi
Guys,

>> I am interesting in hearing what others think and/or have
experienced about the following:

>> Cisco ASR
>>
>> Juniper MX

>> Brocade MLX
>>
>> I am after some powerful routers (with
possible switching) that can hold multiple IPv4/IPv6 tables and forward
say ~200 Gbps of throughput preferably all in hardware. This will be
pure BGP/OSPF calculations for next hops, route convergence and
forwarding. I know MLX ports can act as switching ports so that will
mean I don't need a separate switching layer which is a bonus.

Guess, instead of having a L3 switch that can do routing, I want a
router that can do switching.

>> Looking forward to hear from you
noggers.

>> Best Regards,