[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Mon Feb 11 13:24:15 EST 2013

On 10/02/2013, at 4:27 PM, Narelle <narellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is Telstra's latest commentary on the issue:
> http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2013/02/08/telstra-broadband-experience-trial-mythbuster/
>
> Credit should be given for their answering many of the issues raised on the topic.

Credit should be removed for questions not answered.

DPI boxes allow you to do a lot of very evil things.  Once they're in the network it's very hard to stop people "just having a peak" at the info they provide.  The fact that they don't do these things now doesn't mean they won't in the future.  Inserting these boxes will also make it impossible for Telstra to claim they can't check content flowing through their network - DPI is exactly about the ability to do that.

I'm sure that deep down this actually has nothing to do with ADSL.  This is more likely to be about NBN aggregation.  ADSL is pretty straightforward and not particularly expensive to add more capacity to.  DPI is expensive in comparison.  But at $20/Mbps NBN aggregation is going to be a dominant cost moving forward.   So I'm fairly certain Telstra are looking at ways of congesting their NBN aggregation for residential by choosing losers for traffic based on their value system not their customers.

The whole point about charging people by the GB for access is that you don't need to do this kind of evil.  But, here we're talking about making decisions about what Telstra think the value of your data and time is rather than you being able to do it yourself.

MMC