[AusNOG] The occurrence of duplicate MAC addresses

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 9 12:51:25 EST 2013

>________________________________

You might be able to, but could your mother (or any other non-technical relative), even under instruction over the phone? What if the device doesn't save the new MAC address, such that it has to be changed every time the device boots?

Global uniqueness is intended for "plug and play" convenience, rather than a functional requirement. I went looking a number of years ago as to why MAC addresses are so large when they really only needed to be around a maximum of 16 bits. Here's the paper on the topic, which also has good discussion on addressing in general:

"48-bit Absolute Internet and Ethernet Host Numbers"
http://ethernethistory.typepad.com/papers/HostNumbers.pdf