[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Kris Price ausnog at punk.co.nz
Thu Feb 7 13:24:47 EST 2013

On 2/7/2013 2:32 PM, Tony wrote:
> If you've got a DSLAM with a few hundred ports (how many ports would the average Telstra DSLAM have ?) and you upgrade the DSLAM to be ADSL2 so that each line is capable of 20Mbps, you then have a potential demand for 4Gbps of traffic (200 x 20, yes ignoring that all lines won't sync at 20M). If the backhaul to your DSLAM is only GigE fibre and it's starting to congest what do you do ? You have two options:
>
> 1. Upgrade backhaul. Telstra more than likely has the fibre to do it, but upgrading to 10G would be a costly exercise I imagine. You have to replace cards in all of your DSLAM if that is even possible with the model DSLAMs they have.
>
> 2. Shape/throttle/limit the traffic that is causing you to exceed the backhaul capacity

In this example you're probably fine. Not all customers on your DSLAM
will be heavy users, and you're going to have some statistical
multiplexing gains, so could happily handle 4G of subscriber services
over a 1G backhaul.

And given this is largely infrastructural, wouldn't a better place to
manage this be the H-QoS on the BNG rather than an expensive probably
complicated DPI solution? This is then fair, not punishing one customer
for using one type of protocol, but dishing out the traffic fairly when
the link is at congestion.