[AusNOG] NIC Packets of death

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Thu Feb 7 10:37:40 EST 2013

Seems that certain packets can completely bring down certain Intel chipset
network controllers.

http://blog.krisk.org/2013/02/packets-of-death.html

>From the article:

"When I say "bring down" an ethernet controller I mean BRING DOWN an
ethernet controller. The system and ethernet interfaces would appear fine
and then after a random amount of traffic the interface would report a
hardware error (lost communication with PHY) and lose link. Literally the
link lights on the switch and interface would go out. It was dead. Nothing
but a power cycle would bring it back. ."

Nasty, especially if the equipment is remote.

(Remains me of a remote exploit for Broadcom chipset a while ago).

Regards,
Heinz N