[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Chris Ricks chris.ricks at securepay.com.au
Wed Feb 6 23:40:49 EST 2013

Methods exist to throttle pretty much any sort of traffic irrespective
of protocol-level encryption or port randomisation, so I wouldn't think
that any traffic management would be based on TCP/UDP ports.

The thing that surprises me is that this is Telstra making these sorts
of statements. They pay nothing for domestic traffic sourcing, they have
massive infrastructure in place to service residential and corporate
customers, do not need to rely on third parties for intercapital or
international connectivity (beyond buying very cheap transit in the US
etc) and are collecting significant revenue from wholesale customers.

It almost smells of cost control going forward, assuming a significant
uplift in traffic levels with LTE Advanced and widely available NBN
connectivity.