[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Feb 6 12:07:46 EST 2013

Absolutely true.

I consulted for an ISP many years ago when bandwidth was very expensive.

We analysed their userbase, and out of their 10k users, we gave them a list
of 100 that they should just terminate their service.

They were horrified about the concept, but when we explained the numbers,
basically being they would they would make more money by getting rid of
those users, they terminated them all within the week.

Essentially their transit was running at 95% saturation and they were
starting to get lots of complaints.  The numbers suggested that terminating
those 100 users would bring it down their load to about 65%, and therefore
make people happier, and meant they wouldnt need to spend the $450/mb at
the time.

About 30% of those users were home users, the rest were internet cafes,
education related and other businesses.

Terminating the 100 actually took their links down to about 55%, and there
was actually no fallout... no one complained in any significant way, and
this was way before facebook and whingepool... so no major issues.

These days... who knows :)  (getup!)

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

We are the bridge between business and technology
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud