[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Feb 6 08:26:21 EST 2013

On 05/02/2013 22:47, Adam Gardner wrote:
> Hi Skeeve,
>
> It's that old chestnut of course, but who decides when you change from being "a
> normal user" and a "heavy user" if you have an unlimited plan. (Apologies for slight
> movement of pure peer to peer throttling discussion.)

Applying Pareto (the '80/20 rule'),  'heavy users' are the top  20% of customers by
usage,  that are causing the 80% of 'non-value add traffic'.
Of course, by definition the bar keeps lowering - once you've successfully eliminated
the top 20% of users, the next 20% become the top users, so he'll work to encourage
those to leave, and so on until you have no customers left.

/me wonders how many 'heavy users' will opt-out from the trial...

P.

--
Paul