[AusNOG] Running out of VLANs

Reuben Farrelly reuben-ausnog at reub.net
Mon Dec 16 14:25:38 EST 2013

On 16/12/2013 2:20 PM, James Mcintosh wrote:
> Hi Noggers,
>
> What are people doing about hitting switch VLAN limits? We terminate a
> lot of Ethernet services from several carriers. Our Cisco switch gear is
> great but limited to 128 spanning tree VLAN sessions and 1,000 VLANs.

Which switch platform/models are you using?

By the sounds of it, you're probably using 3560/3750's...which if this
is the case is probably not a good idea (they're floor access switches,
not designed for what you're doing and to be honest, not suited to this
either).

The answer is to either migrate to trunked subinterfaces on a router, OR
(and this is what I would recommend as the best choice), migrate to the
Cisco ME3600/ME3800 platform which scales to this degree, easily, and
gives you lots of nice functionality (such as per-port vlan
significance) that you probably don't have right now.

Reuben