[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 10:09:04 EST 2013

As someone who has spent some considerable time looking at this very thing
I would say it will still be a substantial cost and is probably understated
in this report.

You need to (at least):
- rearrange the fibre runs to reduce the contention ratios
- rearrange your RF plan (probably dropping some TV channels as well to
accommodate capacity changes)
- rejig the frequency transmittance capability across the network
- conduct some major repairs and regrooming
- replace all the old cable modems for those wanting faster services
- rework your OSS and BSS architecture to support a wholesale model
- upgrade a few CMTSs
- solve the MDU problem
- compete with NBN Co etc for staff to do this
- further network upgrades to support demand
- ditto for wholesale model
- etc

Non-trivial but achievable. Definitely more than a year's project. *chuckle*

Is this still under a competitive model with other HFC and DSL present?

Who pays?

There are some advantages over FTTN as some problems are already solved (eg
street power) but there is still considerable street construction and
deployment. The actual pathways are also incomplete so some FTTN/P
deployment would be required.

Of course it is now some years since I worked for Optus so don't take this
as gospel. This are just generic observations based on this sort of network
and their stated offerings. <Insert legal disclaimer>

Just remember the word 'non-trivial'.

Narelle

On 12/12/2013 7:09 PM, "Martin - StudioCoast" <
martin.sinclair at studiocoast.com.au> wrote:

> DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 1Gbps uploads (shared).
> While the costs to upgrade HFC to 3.1 is unknown, it's reasonable to
assume it is less than FTTN (since the cabinets are already there)

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/12/12/nbn-co-abandons-fttn-rollout-hfc-areas/