[AusNOG] IPv6 rDNS ReDelegation

Elly Tawhai elly at apnic.net
Thu Dec 12 18:41:16 EST 2013

The general delegation size made in IPv6 is either a /48 or /32. There
is no built in limit within APNIC systems, which prevents delegation of
longer or shorter sizes. Noting that ip6.arpa delegations can only be
made on 4bit (nibble) hex boundaries, and we can record your NS for any
delegation size received. If a non 4bit aligned delegation (eg /23) has
been received then it would be typical to manage a pair of records to
get to the delegation boundary.

For reverse DNS delegation there is a hierarchy that has to be followed.
So once the address block has been delegated APNIC cannot delegate more
specific sub-delegates 'over' a reverse DNS delegation, or allow
sub-delegates to be delegated their more specific if the parent holder
has not delegated the parent block in reverse DNS.

Hope this helps to provide some clarity.

Kind regards,
Elly
APNIC