[AusNOG] NBN Review shows FTTN blowout of 12bn, FTTH blowout of 29bn

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Thu Dec 12 15:02:51 EST 2013

Wow. Just wow.

Read through this and a lot of other stuff, I basically got a few key points:

1. It's going to cost a lot more than expected and be a lot slower to roll out, yet somehow they have sold that as a good thing (see point 2.)
2. Made up / vague references to "probable" cost blow-outs and delays that FTTP would have experienced (dubious political spin here, but whatever)
3. Shifting of the speed promise from the end user to the ISP - Effectively "We can't guarantee any speed at all over the copper, so we will promise to the wholesale level where the fibre goes, the rest is pot luck"

My favourite is number 3, they snuck that one in there with some careful wording that still makes it look like they are giving us all a minimum speed, whereas in reality you are likely to be just as worse off (or debatably even worse depending on your copper and the final distance to the node). That's the poke in the eye for me, I always saw fibre as a great way to get more speed, but more than that, a much more reliable medium with a clear resolution path for faults, to say I'm disappointed in this would be an understatement.

All this "quality NBN" can be Australia's for the low low price of only $30->$40b+, what a bargain!

There is one nice thing in there; they said FTTP rollouts will continue in brownfields till 2018 so that may end up covering me in Albury if I'm lucky.

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson