[AusNOG] IPv6 rDNS ReDelegation

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 12 11:38:09 EST 2013

In message <E8516C4E568810408C5D5BB109B042FB0FFD4492 at Exchange-2.GloVine.local>, Daniel Watson writes:
> Gday Noggers
>
> As you are most likely aware, a provider like yourself is issued with a
> /32 IPv6 from APNIC,
>
> We are able to set the rDNS servers for this entire /32 to our windows
> 2008 DNS server for PTR records,
>
> However I have issued one of our customers with a /40 and wish to send
> this /40 to their rDNS server.
>
> I've been told by APNIC that its not possible to delegate any lower then
> a /32 from their end, but it is possible from the DNS server to push the
> zone further down to other sets of name servers.

You just add NS records for the ip6.arpa space you are delegating
to them to your zone.  You may need to delegate multiple zones (up
to 8) if the sub assignment is not nibble aligned.

APNIC needed to do it in IPv4 when you had a /17../23 and you needed
to delegate a /24 because they were the parent in the in-addr.arpa
tree.  To support /17's to /23's APNIC delegated the individual
/24's.

With IPv6 you will never need to do this because you will always
be able to do the delegation yourself as APNIC doesn't delegate
/121 or longer which would be the precondition to do this.

One of the reasons for going with nibbles in the IPv6 reverse tree
was to make delegation easier as there would be less cases where
multiple zones needed to be delegated and when there were multiple
zones required there would be less of them (8 vs 128).

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org