[AusNOG] Juniper vs Cisco vs Brocade - what's best for BGP routing?

Tim G tim at timg.ws
Wed Dec 11 18:08:44 EST 2013

Skeeve; also, just as another note, I would prefer to be sent from a reseller to a vendor's presales engineering team then be sold hardware and/or configuration that will not work in a specific environment.

Don't be scared of Vyatta… the software will work wonders with cheap hardware ($3-6k for two boxes). I have a CCR1016-12G board from Mikrotik (this is one of the "Cloud Core" branded boards) sitting at home and if you are looking for something inexpensive it might not be a bad route (heh!) to go.

RouterOS supports VRRP for setting up a master/slave virtual router with only around three lines of config. (OSPF/RIP is also supported… apparently. I could never get it to work correctly.)

Two Cloud Core's will not set you back more then $1,500, and it will give you throughput of ~ 3Gbps…

Can't speak for Juniper/Cisco gear, but IMHO GBP Multihoming is easier to set up on Mikrotik then on Brocade: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Simple_BGP_Multihoming

Regards,
Tim